Wanda has finished 5th overall at the Australian Surf Life Saving Championships.
“It’s a superb result and an all round club effort,” said Nathan Spinner, Wanda SLSC President.
“We crowned 9 new Australian Champions, achieved many medalists and top 6 finishes against the very best of surf sports in Australia.
“Our results came from all sections, which is really pleasing and shows strength across all our sport programs. Importantly, it’s not just about those who win medals – we had a large team of athletes who came up here and gave it there all in every race and contest, which counts for everything.
“We showed fantastic team spirit for the 9 days – it takes a great group of athletes, coaches, officials, volunteers and supporters all working together to do well.
“Huge thanks to all our members who kept patrols going back at Wanda while so many of us were at Aussies,” said Mr Spinner.
Wanda Australian Champions 2021:
- Keira Vincent, u14 female sprint
(Also won silver u14 flags)
- Fletcher Warn, u15 male Ironperson
(Also won bronze u15 surf swim)
- Ben Sutton, u17 male Champion Lifesaver
- U19 male surf team – Nicholas Middleton, Riley Dixon, Noah Steiner, Nathan Jay (Back to back after winning u17 surf team in 2019)
- Ali Najem, Open male 2km beach run (3rd consecutive title)
- Chloe Gentle, Open women 2km beach run
(Also won silver in 2x1km beach run)
- Jesse Phelps, u19 2km beach run
(Also won bronze open 2km beach run)
- Nathan Jay and Kai Hammond, u19 2x1km beach run relay
- Open men beach sprint relay – Jamee Smith, James Karagiannis, Matt Lewis, Clayton Beranek